Platforms: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry
Price: Free with ads
Spotify allows you to play music online from a catalogue of over 20 million songs for free. You can search by artist, album, genre or record label and you can create your own playlists and share them with others. Even the most obscure song you can think of – Spotify will probably have it.
The free version of Spotify on your phone will intersperse your songs with ads and you can only listen when you have access to the internet – so at home you can use Spotify just like a radio that only plays your favourites. If you don’t want to listen to ads you can pay £4.99 per month for the Unlimited version, or £9.99 per month for the premium version, which will also allow you to save your playlists so you can listen to music when you don’t have access to the internet, like on the tube!
Spotify also offers radio stations and can suggest music to you based on your choices. It’s very easy to use, you just download the Spotify app from the app store, log in to your account and start browsing or searching.
- Go to the App Store app on your phone
- Tap ‘Search’ on the bottom right of the screen
- Tap ‘Search’
- Type ‘Spotify’
- You will see ‘Spotify Music’ listed. Tap ‘Free’
- Then tap ‘Install’
- When it has finished installing tap ‘open’ or go back to the homescreen and tap on the Spotify app button
- Sign up by tapping ‘Login with Facebook’ or ‘Login with Spotify Details’ – typing in your name and email address, and any other required information
- You will see three lines in the top left of the screen. This is the menu button.
- To search for a song, tap on the three lines in the top left of the screen
- The menu will appear. Tap ‘Search’
- Tap the bar at the top of the screen
- Type the name of your chosen song or artist
- Tap ‘Search’
- Scroll down and tap the artist or playlist you wish to listen to
- Tap ‘Shuffle Play’
- Next to songs you will see a small ‘…’ symbol. Try tapping this and some options will appear
- To make sure the song is played next, tap ‘Add to Queue’
- To add it to a new playlist, tap ‘Add to Playlist’
- A list of playlists will appear. Tap one to add the song to it. To create a new playlist, tap the ‘+’ symbol in the top right of the screen.
- Tap the menu button (three lines) to bring up the menu
- From the menu you can tap ‘Browse’ to browse music genres, ‘Discover’ to see music suggestions, ‘Radio’ to listen to the radio and ‘Playlists’ to view your playlists.